Wednesday, 9 September 2015

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

Book Review

  I thought that as the movie was now out in cinemas in Ireland I had better get on with reading this so as I could go and see it.
  In this book Greg is an average high school guy. He tries not to associate himself with any particular clique so as he can get through his high school life without any drama. So far his plan to remain on good terms with everyone but friends with no one has worked for him. 
  This changes when a girl that he knew when he was younger, Rachel, is diagnosed with Leukaemia. Greg's mother insists that he go and befriend her. And so, much to his regret, Greg starts to become friends with Rachel. 
  
  I'm going to be very honest. I was a little underwhelmed by this book. I had a few issues with it. First though I will tell you the things that I did enjoy. 

  I loved how quick a read it was. It was such a relief to read it between my college books. 
  I also, occasionally, enjoyed the humour. I enjoyed Greg and Rachel's relationship and the laughter that was there. 
  I liked how much Greg wanted to make Rachel happy whatever his reasons.

  Unfortunately, for me, the humour also sometimes felt very childish. A lot of the jokes were dragged out so as what was funny in the beginning was no longer funny by the time that the joke ended. 
  I thought the excessive swearing made Greg and Earl seem much younger than they were. 
  I also was disappointed by the ending. I won't go into spoilers here but I thought that the main issue would have been dealt with in more detail. I think it was glossed over a little. 

  This was, none the less, an enjoyable book. A book that is dealing with a lot of heavy issues while still keeping the humour light, mostly. 
  Overall I gave this book 
Three Stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment