Wednesday, 25 March 2015

Paper Towns by John Green

SPOILER FREE
  I want to be completely honest and say that I didn't love this book as much as I wanted to love it. I absolutely adore the Vlogbrothers and think John and Hank are hilarious but for some reason I have not been able to say the same for this book. 
  This is a contemporary novel that is told from the perspective of Quentin (Q) an eighteen year old about to graduate from high school. He has lived next to Margo Roth Spiegelman since he was a kid but they have grown apart until at the point where the story really begins and they are practically strangers. Then one night Margo appears in Quentin's room dressed like a girl on a mission set out to get revenge. Quentin hopes that this will reignite their friendship but after this night Margo disappears and has left impossible clues that may or may not lead to her. 
  I enjoyed the secondary characters more than I enjoyed Quentin. I thought that they had a little more life in them. I did love Quentin's determination- that was sweet, but he definitely bordered on obsessive. Margo was a great idea but I couldn't make myself like her. 
  There were some parts of the plot that I really thoroughly enjoyed, one or two stick out in my mind but the other parts felt a little flat. It seemed that there either had to be something big happening or not much at all. 
  Saying that it was an enjoyable book. It had some interesting ideas that made me think. I am looking forward to seeing how it is portrayed in the movie but I do not think that this is one that I would read again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment