Wednesday, 11 March 2015

Faking Faulkner

 I am currently reading The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner. I am not enjoying it. This is another one that I have to read for class. I was spoiled because I didn't get it read in time for the lecture. My own fault. Still, I was very confused reading this novel.
  As best as I can tell this story is told from a multiple perspective, about a family of three brothers and their sister. But to be honest. I cannot follow the story line at all. Once it swapped into the second part of the story it was as if the plot was lost in a stream of conscious. It seems to be about the decline of this family. That's all I've got.
  I am probably going to have to answer an exam question on this. Great. How am I going to blab my way through that? I am probably going to have to look up a summary on shmoop or something.
  I don't like this. This is the idiotic feeling I got after reading Moby Dick by Herman Melville. It's the feeling of confusion when you have read something but only absorbed half of it. Or less.
  As it is, I am not a Faulkner fan. Maybe I'll attempt another book in the future but it doesn't seem likely. I've read Faulkner, but have I? If I didn't get it does it count? How often do we go through our lives faking Faulkner?

No comments:

Post a Comment