Wednesday, 18 March 2015

Breathe by Sarah Crossan

NO SPOILERS

  I love the fact that this was written by an Irish woman! Supporting Irish writers WHOO!
I would also like to say that I love the fact that this is a duology and not another trilogy.
  Breathe is set in a future where all of the trees have died. There is not enough oxygen left in the world to keep the population alive and so everyone lives under a great glass dome where oxygen is pumped into it.
  Oxygen is expensive and only the Premiums can afford to exercise or do anything that creates the need to breathe excessively.
  This story is told from three perspectives. Firstly, Alina, who is part of a rebel group called the resistance. Secondly, Bea, who is one of the lower class in this society. Her family cannot afford to do to much and she is trying to raise her status to help herself and them. Lastly, Quinn, who is a Premium. He also happens to be Bea's best friend. All three lives become entangled and they are thrown into something that is much more harsh than any of them could have imagined.
  I enjoyed this book but I felt that it was a fairly standard dystopian novel. I gave it three and a half out of five stars. It was well done and I loved the characters and their relationships but I felt that the plot was pretty basic. I was never really left with my heart pounding and I was hoping that that would happen. I will continue onto the next book as soon as I can, though surprisingly it was incredibly difficult to source in physical bookshops. I thought that with it being written by an Irish writer and a recent book (2013) it would be readily available but I couldn't source it anywhere but online which was disappointing. I will read it once I get my hands on it... but with the post being what it is don't hold your breath...LOL. 

No comments:

Post a Comment