Friday, 13 March 2015

Atlantia by Ally Condie

NO SPOILERS
   
 I want to start by saying that I loved this book. I was not expecting it because I was not a fan of Ally Condie's series - the Matched trilogy. This book was so much better than I was expecting. I think that was because with matched I could see most of what was coming with this there was so much that went against the normal dystopian stereotypes.
 This is a standalone novel set in the future when earth's surface has become so polluted that all those that live there become ill. There is built an undersea cities like Atlantia. Atlantia is dependant on the 'above'-those who remained above water. The people above send down supplies and keep these cities going. Those who live Below consider themselves incredibly fortunate and lucky. On the sixteenth birthday of a citizen of Atlantia they are given the option to continue living Below or to sacrifice themselves to the Above  to assist those Below.


   Rio and Bay are twins. Rio has always dreamed of going Above and seeing the world above the ocean. She has waited her whole life to leave what she has known behind and see the things she has only ever heard of. But will Rio get the opportunity to live life on land?
                                                           
 I loved the setting of this book. It reminded me of Atlantis. I loved the way that history would get lost. It's a sad kind of digression that is always so addicting to me. There were so times when I wasn't sure what was going to happen. The characters were not typical YA characters. They would often behave in ways that were much more realistic than usual dystopian fiction. It was refreshing.
 I loved this book. I  give it four and a half stars and I highly recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment