Wednesday, 19 November 2014

We are all Selfish Artists

  I study English. I read a lot of literature. Recently, we did some classes on Romantic poets. How they were influenced by what was going on in France and America and all that.
  This got me thinking that what I write is purely entertainment. The things I write about are not political or about massive social events or cultural significance. How can I call myself a writer and write such fluff? Don't I see the important things that those who have written before me have written?
  But you know, that is complete and utter crap. We, all of us, are selfish artists. The things we do to write or draw or sing, they are done to express ourselves. They may have the benefits of uplifting others or influencing them, but to be honest, and lets be honest here, art is a selfish thing.
  For this part I am strictly talking about myself, I am very possessive of my art, writing, drawing (that's what I do). I am highly competitive in these areas. If I did it, it is mine, even if I give it to you. It's got that Emma stamp on it in indelible ink.
  No artist in the past painted purely for others, besides maybe those who did it as a trade and for no other reason. But artists, we are selfish. It's part of the game. If you're not. I envy you.
inspired by Coraline by Neil Gaiman

No comments:

Post a Comment