Monday, 21 April 2014

No Time for Elephants

  I was in a lecture the other day where the lecturer was discussing Nero and his attempt to pull his chariot through Rome with a couple of elephants. This was obviously over-the-top extravagance. The Roman people didn't seem to appreciate it. It also didn't work because the elephants were too big.
  Sometimes it's like that with books. Where there is a really good story. You know the ones I mean, the stay-up-all-night-reading ones, the get-up-early-and-keep-reading ones. And you think it was a one of a kind excellent stand alone. But wait, what's this advertised in the back? Another book, a second one? Brilliant right? Can't even contain yourself excited.
  And so you wait. You bide your time. And there it is, in your hand ready for the reading.


 But this one wasn't so good. In fact, it changed your opinion on a lot of the characters and the plot. It stank. But you, loyal reader that you are, continue reading it to the end in hopes that it will pick up soon. It doesn't.

  Not only that but you've noticed in the back that the author or publisher has decided to make it into a 8-piece series. And that's it. A perfect book ruined.

  Sometimes I wonder about books that would have been better left as a stand alone, or a series that would have been better as a trilogy. (Yes I'm talking about the Mortal Instruments here-Though I am of course reading the last one when I get my hands on it). Sometimes I think it's best just to leave things when their on a high. That's easier said then done, I'll always continue with something if it's there to be continued with. Not only in books, but also in movies-Disney's particularly bad for adding awful sequels, and yet, I will watch them. Why? I do it to myself, I know. I know the temptation to run back to something you loved, but as it is, there is no time for elephants.

No comments:

Post a Comment