Tuesday, 14 January 2014

Found my People


 Up until last year I had been an avid reader, I devoured books, and if you had asked me I would have told you that I read all kinds of books in every genre. It occurred to me that this wasn't exactly true. I mostly read Young Adult fiction, or children's novels. I began to feel that what I was reading wasn't important enough, wasn't factual, wasn't worthwhile. Don't get me wrong, I didn't feel this way myself, but I felt as though when I would tell someone that I read, that I was a reader and then named books that I liked to read, I felt as though they would raise their eyebrows and be sceptical. "Is that All, I thought you were a reader!"

 Yet even with these doubts creeping in like the unwanted litter from next door, I found my collection of books growing. My tiny four shelf bookcase had piles of books on top of it that were taller than me, I swapped it for a bigger bookcase with my sister who only used hers for display. I filled that quickly, I was double stacking the shelves, I had books stuffed in the cracks between the books standing upright and the next shelf. I decided I was going to get a massive bookcase that would be a home to my sardined books, and like any modern girl one of the first things I did was look up YouTube for inspiration. This is where I came across one of the best discoveries I found in 2012, I had stumbled into the BookTubing community. I still remember the first video I watched, it was a bookshelf tour by Katytastic. http://youtu.be/PqB-ZeRJwvA?list=PLw366ja7A0_dwllLqGky_5s-8M9nCfb0P  What was this? Someone else who loved fiction as much as I did. I was not alone! I soon became hooked, I found more and more channels where books I was familiar with were being discussed, and more books recommended me. I found people who loved reading and obsessed over it as much as I did. People who didn't tire of the topic of books but lived in them like I did. 


 I remember telling a friend how excited I was about this community I had found, she laughed and said, "Sounds like you found your people." Even now I can't think of a better way to describe it. I found my people.





No comments:

Post a Comment